17.5.07

You want me to do what...!?

I got a very interesting e-mail from someone the other day asking if I shot weddings at all. The guy wanted to know if I was free on the dates he mentioned and asked what my rates were. Admittedly, I was shocked and flattered at the same time that someone would actually want to hire me to shoot their wedding (well it wasn't actually his coz he was e-mailing me on behalf of the groom).

Flattered because it means that someone actually went to my site, saw my pictures and actually liked them! Wahey! Having only had my camera for a couple of months, the idea that someone wants to hire me for a very special day is a HELL OF A COMPLEMENT! This brings me to the reason why I was shocked when I first read the e-mail.

Weddings are one of the most stressful genres any photog can ever get into.

Consider this:

  1. You as the primary photographer will be depended upon not only by the bride and groom, but also both sides' families (and maybe friends) to capture the couple's once in a lifetime most momentous occasion.

  2. With a major event such as a wedding, things can be quite hectic. Both families will have tons to juggle on the day and the last thing they want to worry about is the photographer. Now, I'm not saying that I'm adverse to responsibilities. Its just that since I have ZERO experience shooting weddings, right now taking the job would be unfair to the couple.

  3. This brings me to my third point...no experience with weddings hence no experience handling clients. Now...I know some people whose first experiences with clients were painless and trouble-free. But I dread to think how I would answer for myself IF they were unhappy with the quality of my work (missed shots, blurry images, etc..). They are paying for a service after all...!

  4. Another reason why I was quite reluctant in taking on this job at this moment in time is in some part due to my equipment. There might be some of you out there that will be saying stuff like "It's not the equipment that matters, it's the cameraman." But having read up on the technicalities involved in photography, I come to know what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately, a f/3.5-5.6 just isnt going to cut it. I cant shoot the entire 3 days with just my 50mm f/1.8 now, can I?
It's a shame really that I have to turn down the offer but for the reasons mentioned above, I think I'm making the right choice. To be honest, I actually never considered weddings as a genre that I would be interested in when I started taking pictures. But the e-mail DID spark some curiosity...and I'm sure it would be quite something to try even if its just once...


2 comments:

SoulJah said...

Good on ya bro.

jIM said...

Thanks man! People have been saying I shud take the job. But I know my my abilities. And right now, I dont think I can...